Thursday, July 3, 2014

Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars

Today is my 4th anniversary to my husband!  After I had made the Spartan cupcakes for the baby shower at work, a coworker told me that I should make cupcakes for my husband.  I looked at her and said, "No."  I then explained that if I was going to make him a treat, cupcakes would not be his first choice.  Later that day I happened upon this recipe on the Very Best Baking website which I attempted for him today.  The original recipe is found here!!

This recipe is super simple and great for the summer because there is no baking involved.  Here are the 5 ingredients that you will need: Butter, Peanut Butter, Powdered Sugar, Chocolate Chips, and Pretzels!


3/4 cup - Butter
2 cups - Peanut Butter divided into 1 1/4 cup and 3/4 cup sections
2 cups - Powdered Sugar
2 cups - Chocolate Chips (I used semi sweet) divided into 1/2 cup and 1 1/2 cups sections
4 cups - Crushed Pretzels divided into 3 cups and 1 cup sections

I started with crushing the pretzels.  The recipe called for broken mini pretzels, but I had a package of pretzel rods on hand that I had picked up at a discounted price because their best by date was later this month.  To break up the pretzels, I cracked them into thirds and put them in a gallon size Ziplock bag.  I then used a rolling pin to break the pretzels apart.  I did mine in two batches to get 4 cups to speed up the process and make it easier on the Ziplock bag. 



I began the mixing by beating the butter until it became creamy and fluffy. 


I then mixed in 1 1/4 cups of peanut butter a quarter cup at a time.



I then added in the powdered sugar 1/3 cup at a time mixing well after every addition.  Once all of the sugar was added, I mixed on high for a minute or two to ensure that the ingredients were thoroughly combined.  


Next I stirred in 3 cups of the pretzels and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.


I then transferred the mixture to a 9x9 square pan that I lined with tinfoil and sprayed with Pam.  The recipe said to use a 9x13 pan, but I wanted a thicker bar so I went with the 9x9.


To prepare the top layer, I melted 3/4 cup of peanut butter and 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. 


I must have used a few extra chocolate chips in the base layer because I was a few short for the second layer.  To compensate, I broke up three squares of dark chocolate that I had on hand and threw them in the mixture. 


I melted the mixture for 45 seconds on 70 percent power.  Mine was not completely melted after the first round, so I microwaved a second time for 15 seconds at 70 percent power. 


After the chocolate and peanut butter were melted together, I stirred in the pretzel crumbs because I did not want the top to look too messy. 


I then spread the second layer on top of the first and placed the remaining pretzel pieces on top.  


Finally, I popped the pan into the freezer to give the dish a jumpstart on setting.  Once finished, I will remove the tinfoil and cut into squares!!  
 

2 comments:

  1. Will be making these Saturday, with the help of my trusty kitchenaid of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful!! And KitchenAid mixers are the best!!

    ReplyDelete